Skip to main content

When People Disagree

Why is it that people, in general, seem to have this all-consuming need to be right? And why are they, in that incessant need, compelled to argue, fuss, fight, yell, scream, and bite in order to establish themselves as that one person who has it all together? Why does "being right" seem to always overshadow the whole concept of friendship, caring, and love?

I honestly don't get it. I have ideas and beliefs. I have things that I feel so strongly about that I am willing to fight for them. And there are also a list of things I have ideas about but no strong conviction one way or another. But all of these ideas and thoughts, all of these beliefs, strong or otherwise, are no match for the love I have for my family and friends. In most cases, if one of my beliefs disagrees with that of someone I love, I will keep silent on that topic. If they bring up the topic, I am willing to state what I think and listen to what they have to say. I will not force my ideas down their throat, and neither will I fight back if or when they attempt to force their beliefs and opinions on me. 

People disagree. 

I like Jif peanut butter and grape jam on white-wheat bread. I consider this to be the most perfect recipe for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But I have heard vicious rumors about people who eat Peter Pan brand peanut butter or grape jelly. Now, are we going to argue about this? Of course not. Am I going to feel a deep sense of insult and rejection upon entering that friends' house and being offered a PB&J sandwich that doesn't line up with my perfect expectations? Don't be ridiculous! 

However, I feel it happens all too often. Not about PB&Js, obviously; but about other ideas and situations that really have no reason to be fought over. 

You live your life as you see fit. I'll live mine. If you see me do something you feel is seriously immoral or wrong, then, by all means, voice your concerns. However, if, after listening to your concerns, I continue on to make my decision, don't be mad at me for disregarding your advice. In return, I will not be angry with you for "putting your nose into my business". On the same token, if I see you doing something I feel is immoral or wrong, I will voice my concerns. And I promise not to take it personally if you disregard my advice or opinions. 

If you are a believer, then you know that in all honesty, we are answerable only to God for what we say and do. If you feel God telling you to tell me something and I disregard your advice, you have nothing to be concerned about--you've done what you felt was right and good, and now it's up to me to answer to God for what I decide to do with that advice.

I'm not going to completely discredit everything someone says simply on the basis that one thing they said doesn't line up with my beliefs. 

I'm not going to throw away an entire book just because of one missing punctuation mark.

However, I honestly feel that people do just that. Basically, "If you say one thing that disagrees with my thoughts, beliefs, or lifestyle, then obviously you hate me and everyone else who is like me!"

Back to the peanut butter...

I love Jif. I don't like Peter Pan. 

You love Peter Pan. You don't like Jif. 

We can still be friends.

Can't we just learn to disagree respectfully? And for heavens' sakes, if you already know we disagree on a subject, can't you leave that subject well enough alone when we're talking? I promise, I'll offer you the same courtesy. (By the way, Facebook doesn't count--post what you think and feel on your own page and I'll scroll right past if I disagree, but please be mature enough to state your opinion without disrespecting opposing ideas. That's just being decent. Likewise, I'll respectfully post my opinions and expect you to scroll on down when you don't agree.)

I like it when people disagree. No one is always 100% right, and sometimes brilliance is born out of disagreement. But can't we just play nice? 

Rant over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Life Brings You to Your Knees

I’ve worked hard my entire life to gain and maintain my independence. I’ve learned from personal experience and on multiple occasions that to depend even a little bit on another person or persons, is to forfeit your personal freedom. When someone offers you a gift, you’d better think long and hard before accepting it, since in many (if not most ) cases, your acceptance of said gift is the same as signing an invisible waiver to your personal rights—they gave you “X,” so you now owe them; and they can call that loan at any time and for any reason they deem appropriate whether you like it or not. Does that make me sound cynical? I fear so. At least to some degree. Or perhaps, at the very least, guarded . As a natural born peace-keeper, my growing up years were spent primarily in that purpose—to say, do, and be all things to all people and, above all else, make sure everyone was happy with me . However, as a teenager, I began to really think my own thoughts, have my own views, fe...

Lists and Lists and Where I am Now

I read somewhere that you should never regret what you've done in the past since, at that time, it was exactly what you wanted. I guess there are reasons both to agree and disagree with that statement, but I'm leaning toward agreement for now. I've always had goals and lists...to-do lists, wish lists, dream lists (no, wishes and dreams are not always the same); and, time after time, I've crossed items off my lists and moved on with my life.  There was the list of  things I needed to pack as I was moving out of my parents' house. Then the list of  items I needed to purchase when I got my own place and the list of things I missed putting on that list because I didn't know about them until I actually got my own place.  There was a list for the classes I needed to complete at the community college before I could transfer to the university. Then the list of classes at the university to cross off for graduation. Then there was the list of people to invite to my br...